10.05.2015

Portland Now, But Yellowstone Then

When I wished and wanted for a life of non-routine, I didn't realize quite all what that would include.  I just remember feeling trapped, driving to the same building every single day on the same road after doing the same exact thing the day before.  I remember thinking there had to be something different for me.   

Friday night, I sat on an airplane and wanted to be at home instead.  I had already been staying in hotels all week for meetings, two presentations, and one conference.  Kiel had joined me and we were set to take off for Portland because it had been planned as a "vacation" weekend to start our work trips that collided in Oregon this week.  However, I wasn't feeling vacation Friday night.  I wanted anything but an airplane.  And my attitude showcased those sentiments.  

If someone would have offered me the choice of drive to same building every single day on the same road, I would have jumped.  

Because let me tell you this - it isn't all fun, this travel working.  With its long days which often extend into night, it isn't all fun at all.  Nothing is.  That's the beauty of life, the ups and downs.  And normal sane Amy who has gotten enough sleep and who doesn't have to pack three different suitcases to coordinate two entire weeks of travel knows that and keeps good perspective on that.  But extremely tired Amy wants home with clothes out of a drawer and food out of a fridge.

Saturday morning, we woke up in Portland after finally arriving at 2:00 am.  I drank coffee out of a real mug, had the right amount of sleep in my bones, and felt human again.  I felt like I was getting a relaxing Saturday morning, even if it was in yet another hotel breakfast area.  

My attitude was on point, I apologized for my night before antics, and I was ready for a "vacation" weekend.  

I'm not really sure what the point of all this is.  Maybe it's to say that nothing is ever perfect and everything has its ups and downs.  Routine work life or nontraditional travel work life, it all just depends on what is right for life at the time.  It all just depends on what we are willing to give and take on and for.      

I just did laundry at a hotel in Portland and that was a down, but tonight we are driving to the coast to grab dinner and that is an up.   

Also, in case you are wondering...hotel laundry is precisely like college laundry.  The dryer doesn't dry completely with one cycle even though it blows so hot the clothes come out a size smaller.

On a Sunday in mid-September, we day tripped to Yellowstone to hike by the waterfall.  I don't think I'll ever tire of this kind of beauty.  I better not, because that would mean I am not taking the time to soak it up.  It also would mean Kiel has stopped schlepping the big camera on trails; I should note the selfies are not from the big camera, although I'm sure you can tell.

No comments: